(Ottawa, October 31, 2007) The Canadian Association of Special Libraries and Information Services (CASLIS) is proud to announce the creation of the Government Information Professionals Section.
The Government Information Professionals Section represents the interests of librarians and information workers who provide library and information services to departments, agencies, and crown corporations of federal, provincial, territorial or municipal governments.
Terms of Reference:
- To promote government libraries and government information services as career paths.
- To provide a means for information professionals working in federal, provincial, territorial and municipal governments to exchange information and communicate with each other.
- To provide a clearinghouse of information and products.
Some activities which have been suggested for this section are:
- Directory of Government Library and Information Services in Canada
- Inventory of Students who can be bridged into federal positions (this list could possibly be used by provincial govt libraries as a list of potential employees)
- Discussion forum
- Conference/Seminar for govt info pros
The section will have a steering group of approx 5-7 people and would include:
- 2-4 members working in the federal government from and outside the National Capital Region;
- 2-4 members from the provincial, territorial or municipal level representing at least 2 different provinces.
The section will be co-chaired by a federal and a provincial/territorial/municipal member.
For additional information, please contact Cabot Yu (email@example.com).
The Canadian Association of Special Libraries and Information Services (CASLIS) is a division of the Canadian Library Association (CLA). The Canadian Library Association (CLA) is Canada’s largest national association representing the interests of all types of libraries and library workers. Comprehensive information about the Canadian Library Association and its programs and services is available on the CLA web site: http://www.cla.ca/.
Mr. Cabot Yu, MLIS