CIO.com offers some networking tips:
- Spend some time learning about the people you'll meet.
- Prepare your "elevator pitch."
- Dress professionally and appropriate for the setting.
- Before going into the event room, make a trip to the restroom to check your appearance.
- Take a moment to breathe and focus your confidence before you enter the room.
- Look like someone you'd want to know.
- Don't make a beeline for the bar—remember why you're there.
- Hold your drink in your left hand, and always carry a cocktail napkin.
- Know whom to approach, and how long to stay.
- Mind your manners when meeting people.
Other offerings from CIO.com: